At 1:40 am on Wednesday morning, I was awakened by a jolt and boom to our home. To me it felt like a car had crashed into our home, although there was no sound of a crash to support that theory. Others in the neighborhood, have shared that they thought it was an earthquake, including my husband.
After checking on the family, my husband went outside to investigate, as I remained with our son and dogs. Minutes later my husband called to share that there had been an explosion and that three of our local businesses were reduced to rubble. He went on to say it looked like a war zone. After about 30-45 minutes, I asked him to come home, so that I could see the damage first hand. At which point, I saw the devastation for myself. The pictures taken at night of the explosion site didn't turn out well with my cell phone, so I share this picture. This is a bakery that is located at the Southern most part of the next block on Greenwood. The pane of glass two in from the door was shattered, as were many others in the neighborhood.
Here is a picture from later on in the day. This was taken around 9 or 10am. Of particular notice to our family, was the ice cream freezer box, that my son would frequent at the Quick Mart often in the summer months.
Our community was amazing, coming to the aid of the businesses and residents in the affected area. Firstly, my hat goes off to the "Defender's of Greenwood" at Station 21, those on Ladder 5 and the Battalion Chief that were injured. As well as all of the other Fire fighters and Police Officers on the scene. My son and I even received a police escort through the debris on the way to school in the morning. I should also recognize Coyle's Bakery, shown above, as they passed out their delectable pastries to the responders. Additional food and beverages were delivered by Fred Meyer and Safeway to the scene. Not to mention all of the community members, that helped with the initial clean up in the businesses and boarded up broken windows. I saw my neighbor Greg H., who is a contractor, go into another neighbors house to board up two of their windows, so that the ladies that reside there could feel safe to go back to bed. And of course my husband Josh C. who never went back to sleep and helped out wherever he could.
Today efforts continue, which is why I wanted to take this opportunity to share some Gas Leak Safety Tips that PSE promotes. Here is the link to PSE Gas Safety Tips and you will see some brochures are embedded in the text too. Please take a few moments to learn what to do, in the event you encounter a gas leak.
I apologize for the duplication of tips this week, but this was something I couldn't ignore and had to share with each of you. I truly hope you never have to experience a major disaster, but every step you take today will help to prepare you for what may come tomorrow.
To learn more about preparedness measures or to schedule a presentation, safety walk, tabletop exercise or general consultation with HT2, please Click Here!