Remember to set your clocks forward this Saturday night! As we spring forward on Sunday. In addition, it is a great time to check on your disaster supplies, plans and devices.
Here are some things to do this weekend:
• Check your fire extinguishers: Is the needle pointing to the "Green" section on the gauge?
• Maintain your smoke detectors: Replace the batteries and follow the manufacturers' directions on maintenance. Most manufacturers will recommend that you use the attachments on your vacuum to dislodge any dust and debris build-up.
• Check your supplies: Rotate any items that will expire in the next 6-months, by placing them in your daily pantry and replacing the items in your disaster supplies.
• Water supply: Check on the expiration dates and if expired, you can keep the water for hygiene purposes. If you store your own water in containers filled by your tap, please replace with fresh water. NOTE: You could use the old water to feed your house plants.
• Family Plans: Develop or revisit plans for Out of Area Contacts, Fire Evacuation and Assembly area, Crisis Communication plans and ensure you have your necessary documents backed-up.
• Conduct or Plan a Drill: Use this weekend as an opportunity to plan for or conduct a fire evacuation or earthquake drill.
Good Luck and Make it a Family Affair!
PIEPC VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!
Lastly, in last week's tip, we shared that the early bird registration for the Partners in Emergency Preparedness Conference will expire at the end of the month and we encouraged you to consider participating, as paying attendee. I learned this week that we are in need of at least 5 additional volunteers to help with the logistics behind the success of pulling off the Conference. If you would like to volunteer, please complete this form and follow the directions to submit the application to our Vice-Chair.
Hope to see you at PIEPC!
To learn more about preparedness measures or to schedule a presentation, safety walk, tabletop exercise or general consultation with HT2, please Click Here!